Sunday, September 28, 2014

Why Teach?

In this weeks lesson of class, we read and discussed many different aspects of why teachers go into teaching in the first place. I began to ask myself, "Why do I want to teach?" I love children and I love Art. My goal within the next few years is to become an Art Teacher. My double major is Early Elementary so I will have that degree as well. But why do I want to do this? 
I believe that sometimes children are grown up in a very structured environment and are very rarely able to express themselves in the way they want to. Children can be very smart, they will learn their times tables and all about history and science, but there comes a time of day when children just need to be able to relax and learn and express their individuality. I want to be part of this. I was once a student who disliked school and rarely ever paid attention. As a creative and artistic person I would have loved to been able to get the chance to be myself, and let this creative side of me show. 
In an online article called "The Advantages of Having Art in Elementary School" by Van Thompson, she says, "Art provides children with an outlet for their emotions...Art can be particularly helpful for children who struggle with difficult emotions or family problems and those who have a hard time talking about their feelings. Art also helps children adopt different perspectives, which can play a role in developing social and emotional skills." I personally believe children should be given a chance to express their emotions throughout the day. An art classroom may be an enviornment where they feel comfortable enough to do so, and I want to provide them with that. Children are silly, and they deserve a time to be silly along with their educational development. However, this article also says that Art can play a huge role in cognitive and analytical skills, and I would like to provide them with that too. 

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/advantages-having-art-elementary-schools-8499.html​

No comments:

Post a Comment